Renters Insurance
"Because your landlord's policy does not cover your stuff!"


Motorcycle Insurance Quote Form

With renters insurance, you will be able to replace what is damaged or stolen.

Ohio Renters insurance covers your possessions against losses from fire or smoke, lightning, vandalism, theft, explosion, windstorm, and water damage from plumbing. The biggest misconception about Cleveland renter's insurance is that you don't need it and that your landlord's insurance policy will cover you for any damages done to your belongings. Whether or not your landlord does in fact carry insurance on your rental home or apartment, their insurance policy does not extend coverage to you as a renter. This is one of the most frequently asked questions we get, and we are here to help you work through it! 

However, renters insurance does not cover floods, earthquakes or routine wear and tear. You can, however, buy separate policies for flood and earthquake damage. Likewise, renters insurance doesn't cover the most important thing you own, which is your life! As you explore renters insurance in Ohio, you should also consider life insurance for yourself as well. 

If you are forced out of your home because of a disaster your additional living expenses will be covered. 

Cleveland and Ohio Renters insurance pays the reasonable additional costs of temporarily living away from your home if you can't live in it due to a fire, severe storm or other insured disaster. It covers hotel bills, temporary rentals, restaurant meals and other living expenses incurred while your home is being rebuilt. Coverage for additional living expenses differs from company to company. 

Cleveland and Ohio Renters insurance also covers your responsibility to other people injured at your home or elsewhere by you, a family member or your pet and pays legal defense costs if you are taken to court.

Decide How Much Renters Insurance You Need in Ohio.

Add up the cost of everything you would want to replace if it were damaged or stolen. This could also serve as the basis for an inventory that will make filing a claim easier. For an inventory, also record model numbers, dates and places of purchase. Take photographs or make a video of these items and place a copy of the inventory in safe place away form your home.

If you rent an apartment or house you need insurance to protect your belongings. While your landlord might have insurance, it only protects the building. Your belongings are not covered under those policies. 

Thank you for your interest in Cobos Insurance, if you have questions or would like to speak with one of our insurance professionals call us at 440.233.6199 or contact us via email.

If you have your eyes on a home to purchase, then we would love to help you protect you on your journey to home ownership! You might want to start by looking into home owner's insurance exploring the differences between renters insurance and home owner's insurance. 

Do you need additional insurance beyond your Ohio Renter's Insurance?

You may want to consider an inland marine insurance policy if you have a particular collection, jewelry, guns, or otherwise that has a significant value. An inland marine insurance policy sounds confusing but it really is quite simple. An inland marine insurance policy covers a particular item or group of items/possessions wherever they go (unless otherwise stated by the policy). If you are traveling down from Cleveland to southern Ohio and you happen to have your jewelry stolen, an inland marine policy should cover the total cost of your jewelry unless the insurance company can help locate the jewelry that was stolen in the first place. Some inland marine policies will even cover an item that is lost, whether you know what actually happened to it or not.

You obviously shouldn't abuse your insurance policy, and insurance fraud is a very serious issue, but if you genuinely lose an item your inland marine policy should compensate you for it. The nice thing about most inland marine policies, particularly if you have a highly valuable, or group of highly valuable jewelry items, is that it covers the items wherever they go even if you aren't with those items. You might have to check your luggage and if your collectible happens to be lost or stolen while your bag is away from you, it would still be covered. If you have a significant amount of collectibles, this type of insurance coverage could be best for you. If you have questions and inland marine insurance or insurance questions about your collectibles in general, give us a quick call at 440.233.6199! You can also read more about insuring your jewelry in our blog post regarding insurance for your jewelry

Should you Rent or Buy your home?

Another question we get asked frequently is whether or not a person should rent or buy their home. While not one answer works for each and every person, we have helped thousands of people over the years work through this question. You have multiple factors to consider when asking yourself if you should continue to rent or go ahead and purchase your home, the main question being, what is your end goal? Where do you see yourself in the next few years? Where do you see yourself in 10-15 years? If you have a general idea of where you want to be physically along with financially, this will give you a great place to start your planning in regards to your home purchasing/renting question. Obviously we would love to see you stay around our great city of Cleveland, the best city in the USA! An additional resource you can use is a financial calculator that will actually help you answer the question from a financial standpoint, you can access this calculator by visiting our Financial Calculators page. You can also feel free to reach out to us, especially before you make your final decision since we do have so much experience in helping people through this stage of their life. Give us a quick call at 440.233.6199.